I would first like to acknowledge the traditional territories of the Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh Nations on whose land we teach, learn and live.
My name is Lorelei Lyons and I’m the Aboriginal Youth and Family worker for Alpha Secondary, Burnaby North Secondary and the elementary family schools known as Brentwood North Zone. I’m Lakota/Metis and Irish and a member of the Métis nation here in BC but originally from Manitoba. I’ve been with the Burnaby Aboriginal Team for 20 years.
Now that the new school year is well under way, I would like to insure you are aware of the services available to you and your child through the Aboriginal Education department at your Childs school.
Please take a look at this information and call me if you have any questions or concerns.
- Aboriginal Success Teacher, Mandy Alves: Mandy.Alves@sd41.bc.ca , 604-664-8550. Provides academic support with a focus on enhancing attendance, engagement, and academic standing of our Aboriginal learners. Mandy teaches English and Social Studies. Room number 210 and 3.
- Aboriginal Secondary Resource Teacher, Karla Gamble:Karla.email@example.com, 604-760-8154. Provides a cultural program for students and curriculm support for teachers.
- Aboriginal Youth and Family Worker (YFW) Lorelei Lyons:Lorelei.firstname.lastname@example.org, 604-664-8262, cell 604-760-2584 provides culturally based social, emotional and personal development support to students and their families.
- The Aboriginal Circle program is offered once per month to all Aboriginal students to increase their awareness of the diverse Aboriginal people/cultures in their schools, community and Canada. Post Secondary visits are part of our circle program to introduce students to Aboriginal services at various campuses
- I would also like to encourage each of you to become involved with our school district. We host gatherings throughout the year comprised of parents and community members interested in the betterment of education for Aboriginal students in Burnaby. The meetings are in the evening with dinner as well as child minding provided.
- If you are interested in becoming part of an Aboriginal Parent committee, please contact Brandon Curr , Vice-Principal of Aboriginal Education at 604-296-6900 ext 661019 or Brandon.email@example.com
In closing…Every year the ministry of education requires each Aboriginal student to complete an information/consultation form and have these forms signed by their parent/guardians. If you have not already done so, please sign the attached form and return it to your Childs school as soon as possible.